Yes, yes, I know you’ve got better things to do on Valentine’s Day than read but–just in case your significant other falls asleep or forgets to take you someplace nice for that most commercial of holidays—here are some books to pull you through….
- One Day by David Nicholls
- Mating Rituals of the North American Wasp by Lauren Lipton
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (of course you should read this!)
- Frozen Music by Marika Cobbold (an all-time favorite, should read it again!)
- 32 Candles by Ernessa T. Carter (if you haven’t read it yet, then do it now–I’ll just keep reminding you to read it.)
- Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin (read it before the movie’s released!)
- The Complete Kama Sutra (who knows? Maybe if you practice a few moves from it, your significant other will decide it’s time to treat you to something nice…)
Now that should be enough to get you started. Still not in a romantic, love love love mood? Well, pull out your DVD of Amelie from Montmarte and see if that doesn’t make you smile. And don’t pretend you don’t have it–everyone’s got a copy of it somewhere. I watch mine whenever I am sad and it makes me happy. Makes me feel like love is this wondrous thing that is a lovely Technicolor dream set in Paris…yeah yeah….a cliché I know but it’s a lovely one and I am sticking to it.